Sunday, July 26, 2015

Tank Top #2


Men's tank top I bought at Target for me. Of course the under arm area is too big. 

The gray tank top I took in at the sides was a little bit snug. This black one I am going to take in at the shoulders. 

Using and old tank top as a guide for the arm holes and pining where I want to sew. 


Since the back shoulder piece is wider I matched the seams at the sides and made a pleat at the back and pinned it. 


Then stitched across and cut off the excess shoulder. 
 

Here's the back shoulders with a cute little pleat. 


And again with the weird selfies. You get the idea of the shoulders. This brought the arms holes up. Still a little loose under the arms. I may or may not  take in under the arms just a little. This is for around the house anyways so I'm happy with it. 






Tank Top


Bought a men's tank top at Target today. Bought it because I wanted something roomy to wear on these hot hot summer days we are having here in Michigan. 

To start off with I turned it inside out, using an old tank top as a guide to pin where I will be taking in the sides. 

The pin at the top, at the bottom of the arm pit, is where I will start sewing from. 
I purposely insert that first pin up and down at the place I want to start sewing at. That way I can insert the sewing machine needle right there and pull the pin out before sewing. 

I'll start my stitich there and just keep sewing down until stitching gradually runs off the shirt. I'm going to use the longest stitch on my machine, which has been working out okay with knits. 





Then do the same for the other side. 
Try it on to see if any adjustments need to be made. 

If all is good, if you want cut off the excess so the sides lay smoothly. 

Its ready to wear!



This last one is the best selfie one that turned out where you can see the tank top alright. 


Thursday, July 23, 2015

Lounge Pants

Made me a pair of around the house pants from a Butterick 5893 pattern. Think it was view D (sorry I missplaced the envlope sleeve). The pattern is actually for long full length pants but this satin like fabric I had made them more of a 3/4 length pant. It's easy to alter the pant length of the pattern to fit the fabric piece on hand. 
Didn't have enough fabric for the waste band but I did happen to have black satin fabric to use. 

I like that the pattern had pockets. These were pretty east to do. 

Did a machine sewn hem and went back and did stitching close to the edge. I like how they turned out. 

I'm a size 12 and cut out the pattern for a size XL. They turned out wider looking than the picture on the pattern envelope sleeve. Next time I will try the size Large. 


Did a zigzag stitch along all the seam edges too. Took longer to make these pants but because of this fabric fraying edges the zigzag stitched edging will help them from unraveling in the long run. 

And now to go through a fabric tote to figure out what to make mysfelf next.